Monday, June 2, 2008

Sunday Dinner

Yesterday my parents came over to help me with some landscaping. I had promised them dinner, knowing that I had some stock from The Dinner A'Fare ready to go. For a hearty dinner after some tiring work around the house, I decided to prepare the Aged Angus Flank Steak with Pepercorn Butter. I pre-heated my cast iron pan under the broiler and cooked the steak for about 3 minutes per side, then added the butter mixture and let it sizzle for one or two more minutes. The steak came out cooked to a beautiful medium with a warm, pink, juicy center, and tons of flavor from the seasoning, and from the compound butter.

When I pulled the steak off of the pan to rest, I added a blend of diced sweet potato, peppers and onions to cook right in the seasoned butter on the stove top. To finish off the meal, I had steamed some locally grown Russian Kale, which was topped with a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and some sea salt. I am working on learning more about Italian wines this year, so I thought I would pair the meal with a Ripasso, which is an Italian wine that blends the characteristics of Valpolicella and Amarone creating a full bodied wine with an intense fruit bouquet, and a soft balanced finish.

All that was left to do was slice the steak and pour the wine. Dinner was a hit and I only used two pans. The complete meal was ready in under 15 minutes, so we could spend our time enjoying the food rather than preparing it.

No comments: